Friday, November 19, 2010

Out of boredom...

So the other day, I was just messing around on my laptop and I decided to log on to the network, go to my H drive, and read some of my old portfolio pieces. A lot of them were kinda silly and you could tell they were written in 7th grade, but one of the pieces stuck out to me. It was the poem I wrote about hockey season. Here it is-


It is hockey season.
I see players preparing for the first
games to kick-off the season,
The freshly cut ice
            with bright blue and red lines,
And the scoreboard showing
            when the puck drops.

            It is hockey season.
I smell Febreezed equipment as my
            brother reveals it from his bag before the game,
Freshly popped, buttery popcorn
            in the concession stand,
And the sweaty teammates as they walk
off the ice to the locker rooms.

It is hockey season.
I hear coaches discussing the
            upcoming game with their players,
Sharp skate blades
chopping at the ice,
The scoreboard’s buzzer
at the end of the period,
And the cash register’s cha-ching
            as parents buy new equipment.

            It is hockey season.
I taste the cherry chilly willy
            as it slides down my throat,
The rubber of my mouthpiece
            as I chew on it nervously,
And the freshness of the
cold air as I breathe slowly.

It is hockey season.
I feel cold chills run up my spine
            as I sit on the freezing bleachers,
Adrenaline rushing through my body
            as I wait anxiously for the game to begin,
And pride in my heart after my
team just won the championship.

It is hockey season!

Now I know this isn't the best poem ever written, but I really like it. It reminds me of when I first began to play hockey and of how far I've come in the sport. I'm really glad I decided to stick with it and not give up :)

No comments:

Post a Comment